About Me

My photo
I moved to Cuidad Juarez in March of 2006, 5 and a half weeks after giving birth to our youngest child, to be with my husband, Ruben, who was deported about 10 months earlier. I first lived in Metepec (Estado de Mexico) before traveling back to the states to my parents house after learning I was pregnant with our daughter. Cuidad Juarez is now our home. We have 2 children, a son, Christian, and a daughter, Mackenzie. We have not just survived this move, we have thrived!

Monday, March 24, 2014

My Mexican Monday


    It's Monday, and I'm not working today. Which is good, because like the rest of the world, I hate Mondays. So I thought that today would be a good day to take some pictures with my IPad, as we were out and about running errands. We didn't go anywhere too special. Although, we did go to our favorite place to eat breakfast. Other than that, it was just places like Walmart, to pick up some coffee filters, to the mall to take our computer to the repair shop, to the fabric store to pick up fabric to make a dress and also to get a new tablecloth. But, I just thought I'd share some pictures of where I live here in Juarez, so my family and friends can see what I see everyday. 

    This is the street we live on. We live down on the right hand side. I appreciate the trees, as we don't  
    get to see much green in Juarez.


    And this is headed in the other direction, on our way out of our little gated community.


    Mackenzie wouldn't be still so I could snap her picture! Oh, well....maybe later!


    On our way to go eat breakfast this morning. This is Avenida Tecnologico.

   

    It's a super long Avenue!


    This was Mackenie trying to strike a pose outside Maria Bonita Hotel, which is where the restaurant 
    is located. El Comal is the name of it and it is a very popular, and affordable, restaurant. The 
    breakfast buffet is delish! 



    I really liked these purple flowers! Daisies, perhaps?

 
    This is the side of the hotel.





    I saw this little restaurant, that is apparently closed, on our way home. It's name in English means
    "The Difference", which made me chuckle. It left me thinking, "the difference between what"?


    Ahhh....yes. Everywhere you go here, you must pay to park. Well, nearly everywhere.


    Especially Walmart.


    I've been to this particular Walmart a few times, and yet today is the first time I noticed this statue.
    Juarez has only about a million statues and monuments. 


   

    Justice anyone? (Everyone in Mexico raises hand) Sadly, most never get it. 


    This was taken in the Walmart parking lot (very discreetly with my cell phone). They caught a boy 
    that could not have been more than 14 years old stealing a soccer ball, some DVD's, and a ton of
    chocolate! Initially, he had an attitude, even slamming his backpack down when the police asked 
    him for it in the store. But, by the time they drove off, the boy was crying, with big crocodile tears
    falling down his face. He was handcuffed just like any adult would be. I wondered about him and 
    why he stole those things and where his life was headed now. And then I prayed for him.


    This used to be a police station annex. It's been a lot of things, actually. Even a bar once. 
    It's a used car lot at the moment. It's weird, if nothing else. Not sure what the original purpose
    of the design was for, but OK.


    Plaza Juarez Mall has yet another circus being set up. There is always a circus in town 
    somewhere. This one is going to be some aquatic circus, called Splash. I used to love to
    Go to the circus until a chimpanzee escaped while we were at one. I was literally freaking
    out because I had just watched an episode of Maury Povich where a man had his face ripped
    off by a chimpanzee. And, then, a while back I learned the painful truth about the treatment of
    circus animals. The abuse the endure for our human pleasure isn't worth it.

    

    We bought a new laundry basket. Here's my adorable hubby making room in the trunk, 
    while my sweet Mackenzie carries it on her head. How else would an eight year old carry
    a laundry basket?


    And then it was time to pick up my 13 year old son from school...

    Mommy is always taking pictures of Christian!


    Lots of teenagers waiting to be picked up from school....


    My new plastic tablecloth cover. It's clear with butterflies, but it's lying on top of a sage
    tablecloth. I need to get maybe a light blue fabric for underneath. But, I love butterflies!



   On the left is fabric to make sundress fabric. Mackenzie and I will have matching sundresses.
   On the right, is one already made for Mackenzie. Nothing says Spring like flowers and butterflies!


   I got a new ceramic piggy! I named him Porky, and he's going outside on my patio.

   Hope you enjoyed my pictures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment